Does my body burn calories while I sleep?

A 2009 study conducted in Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that while sleeping you burn three times more fat then when lying in bed awake. In another study, participants on identical diets that slept 5.5 hours lost lean muscle, as opposed to those sleeping 7+ hours who lost fat. And it all has to do with our stages of sleep, specifically REM sleep.

During REM sleep your brain is more active than any other stage. In fact in some cases it is more active than when you are awake. This activity requires fuel for thought called glucose -- the basic building block of most foods.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

How to Hack Your Metabolism for Weight Loss
At a fundamental level, weight loss comes down to a simple formula: reduce your calorie intake, increase your activity level, and you’ll start to see ...
How can eating too little slow my metabolism?
Mental Fitness, Inc.Mental Fitness, Inc.
Besides not providing enough of all the vitamins, minerals and protein we need every day, not eating...
How does not eating enough fat affect my metabolism?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
Eating good fat actually speeds up your metabolism; when you don't eat enough fat, your body switche...
The Health Benefits of Sriracha
The Health Benefits of Sriracha