Does my body burn calories while I sleep?

A 2009 study conducted in Sao Paulo, Brazil, found that while sleeping you burn three times more fat then when lying in bed awake. In another study, participants on identical diets that slept 5.5 hours lost lean muscle, as opposed to those sleeping 7+ hours who lost fat. And it all has to do with our stages of sleep, specifically REM sleep.

During REM sleep your brain is more active than any other stage. In fact in some cases it is more active than when you are awake. This activity requires fuel for thought called glucose -- the basic building block of most foods.

Continue Learning about Metabolism and Weight Loss

The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
The Benefits of Eating Your Food Slowly
Chances are, you were told as a kid to chew your food slowly so you didn't choke. Well, now there’s a new reason to chew your food. Eating fast makes ...
Can a poor diet slow down my metabolism?
If you're gaining weight, you may wonder if your metabolism has slowed. In this video, fitness exper...
How does not eating enough fat affect my metabolism?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
Eating good fat actually speeds up your metabolism; when you don't eat enough fat, your body switche...
How Does My Metabolism Influence Weight Loss?