What are possible complications of metabolic syndrome X?

Complications of metabolic syndrome X include heart attack, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance results in elevated blood sugars and places you at greater risk for developing diabetes. High blood pressure and increased cholesterol along with excess fat around your waist create a high chance of plaque clogging your arteries and restricting blood flow, which significantly increases your chance of heart attack and stroke. These complications can be life threatening and without proper treatment of the factors that comprise metabolic syndrome X you will most likely fall victim to one of these life threatening illnesses.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

How is eating sugar linked to metabolic syndrome?
Jorge CruiseJorge Cruise
Sugar consumption has been linked to metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is a combination of a number ...
How common is metabolic syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The epidemic of metabolic syndrome has spread to adolescents and young adults. Studies now show t...
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Does It Raise My Heart Disease Risk?
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?