Is metabolic syndrome X serious?

Agueda Hernandez, MD
Family Medicine
This syndrome encompasses a group of risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar, undesirable cholesterol levels, and a large waist size.
Individually, these risk factors post a risk to your health. However, when they come together in a single patient, they can add up to much more serious problems.
The risk factors — in some combinations — can double your risk for cardiovascular disease, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. 
Some of the causes of metabolic syndrome are within the patient’s control, such as dietary intake or an inactive lifestyle. Other causes are not, including ethnicity and genetics.

Metabolic syndrome X can be a very serious condition as it may lead to heart disease and diabetes when not treated properly. Metabolic syndrome X increases the risk of plaque build up in your arteries, which can lead to coronary heart disease. Combining the factors that lead to metabolic syndrome X also increases your risk of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be very serious if not managed on a daily basis and can lead to problems with your vision, nerve damage, kidney impairment, and stroke.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

What do I need to know about caring for someone with metabolic syndrome X?
When caring for someone with metabolic syndrome X, it is important to monitor their diet and exercis...
What are signs of metabolic syndrome in women?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
About 23% of American women have metabolic syndrome, a constellation of attributes that increases th...
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Does It Raise My Heart Disease Risk?