Is metabolic syndrome X serious?

Agueda Hernandez, MD
Family Medicine
This syndrome encompasses a group of risk factors, such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar, undesirable cholesterol levels, and a large waist size.
Individually, these risk factors post a risk to your health. However, when they come together in a single patient, they can add up to much more serious problems.
The risk factors — in some combinations — can double your risk for cardiovascular disease, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. 
Some of the causes of metabolic syndrome are within the patient’s control, such as dietary intake or an inactive lifestyle. Other causes are not, including ethnicity and genetics.

Metabolic syndrome X can be a very serious condition as it may lead to heart disease and diabetes when not treated properly. Metabolic syndrome X increases the risk of plaque build up in your arteries, which can lead to coronary heart disease. Combining the factors that lead to metabolic syndrome X also increases your risk of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can be very serious if not managed on a daily basis and can lead to problems with your vision, nerve damage, kidney impairment, and stroke.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

How many people in the United States suffer from metabolic syndrome X?
Approximately 34 percent of the adult population in the United States meets the criteria for metabol...
What is metabolic syndrome X?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Syndrome X is a condition in which the body makes more insulin than necessary after the consumpt...
How Do I Know If I Have Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic Syndrome Leads to a Perfect Storm in the Body
Metabolic Syndrome  Leads to a Perfect Storm in the Body