How does smoking affect metabolic syndrome X?

Smoking has been linked to increased risk for metabolic syndrome X. There is a correlation between smoking and insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is one of the main factors that contribute to metabolic syndrome X. Smoking is also known to contribute to cardiovascular disease. It is widely accepted treatment to insist that those with metabolic syndrome X quit smoking as part of their treatment for the condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

What are signs of metabolic syndrome in women?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
About 23% of American women have metabolic syndrome, a constellation of attributes that increases th...
What is the role of insulin in metabolic syndrome?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
The key element of metabolic syndrome is insulin resistance. This condition that can be present befo...
Metabolic Syndrome Leads to a Perfect Storm in the Body
Metabolic Syndrome  Leads to a Perfect Storm in the Body
How Do I Know If I Have Metabolic Syndrome?