How many people in the United States suffer from metabolic syndrome X?

Approximately 34 percent of the adult population in the United States meets the criteria for metabolic syndrome X. Of the adult population, roughly 41 percent of people ages 40 to 59 have metabolic syndrome X, and almost 52% of those 60 and older. People of different ethnic backgrounds tend to have different risk factors; for example, Mexican-Americans are more likely to have abdominal obesity than African-Americans, but less likely to have high blood pressure. 

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

What is metabolic syndrome X?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Metabolic Syndrome X is a condition in which there are multiple health-related abnormalities, but no...
How is eating sugar linked to metabolic syndrome?
Jorge CruiseJorge Cruise
Sugar consumption has been linked to metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is a combination of a number ...
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Does It Raise My Heart Disease Risk?
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?
How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated?