How can I prevent heart disease if I have metabolic syndrome?

Eileen A. Kelly, MD
Exercise, healthy diet and weight control are the keys to preventing heart disease if you have metabolic syndrome. First, check with your doctor to see if it is OK for you to exercise. Start slowly and work up to 30-45 minutes five days a week. If you need help with your diet, ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Low-sodium diets, the DASH diet, and Mediterranean style diets are good guides for you to follow.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

What is metabolic syndrome X?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Syndrome X is a condition in which the body makes more insulin than necessary after the consumpt...
How many people in the United States suffer from metabolic syndrome X?
Approximately 34 percent of the adult population in the United States meets the criteria for metabol...
How Do I Know If I Have Metabolic Syndrome?
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Does It Raise My Heart Disease Risk?