How can I prevent heart disease if I have metabolic syndrome?

Eileen A. Kelly, MD
Exercise, healthy diet and weight control are the keys to preventing heart disease if you have metabolic syndrome. First, check with your doctor to see if it is OK for you to exercise. Start slowly and work up to 30-45 minutes five days a week. If you need help with your diet, ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Low-sodium diets, the DASH diet, and Mediterranean style diets are good guides for you to follow.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

Is metabolic syndrome X serious?
Metabolic syndrome X can be a very serious condition as it may lead to heart disease and diabetes wh...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with metabolic syndrome X?
When caring for someone with metabolic syndrome X, it is important to monitor their diet and exercis...
What is Metabolic Syndrome and How Does It Raise My Heart Disease Risk?
How Do I Know If I Have Metabolic Syndrome?