Does metabolic syndrome X affect children differently than adults?

Metabolic syndrome X affects children and adults in a similar way by increasing their risk for diabetes and heart disease. The process of diagnosing metabolic syndrome X is slightly different in children and teenagers because they are still growing and the index to measure excess fat around the abdomen and laboratory tests is constantly changing. Generally, children are thought to be at risk for metabolic syndrome X if they measure overweight for their age, sex, and height. It is recommended that children who are overweight or at risk for being overweight, with weight in the 85th percentile for age and sex, be screened for metabolic syndrome X starting at age 10.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome (X)

What is the role of insulin in metabolic syndrome?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
The key element of metabolic syndrome is insulin resistance. This condition that can be present befo...
How common is metabolic syndrome?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The epidemic of metabolic syndrome has spread to adolescents and young adults. Studies now show t...
How Do I Know If I Have Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic Syndrome Affects 47 Million Americans