Are there over-the-counter medications for metabolic syndrome X?

Over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin and fiber supplements, are sometimes used to treat the conditions that create metabolic syndrome X. If you are at risk for heart disease a doctor will often recommend an aspirin regimen to reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. Aspirin works to thin your blood and alleviate some of the symptoms of high blood pressure and excessive clotting of the blood, although it may not be as effective for metabolic syndrome as it is in preventing cardiovascular problems in other patients.

Fiber supplements can also be purchased without a prescription to increase the amount of fiber in your daily diet. Fiber has been found to effectively address insulin resistance, cholesterol, and excess abdominal fat issues.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome X Treatments

Is there a cure for metabolic syndrome X?
There is no cure for metabolic syndrome X, but with a commitment to adjusting your daily life you ma...
Are there alternative treatments for metabolic syndrome X?
Alternative treatments for metabolic syndrome X include use of homeopathic remedies and nutritional ...
Will I need to take medicines to treat metabolic syndrome X?
Medications treat metabolic syndrome X by remedying the individual conditions that increase your ris...
What can I do with diet to treat my metabolic syndrome?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Metabolic syndrome is treated with medications, weight loss, and physical activity guided by a multi...