Does metabolic syndrome have anything to do with my weight?

Metabolic syndrome is becoming more and more common in the United States and researchers are trying to discover whether the syndrome is due to one single cause, however all of the syndrome’s risk factors are related to obesity. The two primary risk factors are: Extra weight around the middle of the body (central obesity or adiposity). This is described as an “apple shaped” body (instead of a pear); Insulin resistance, in which the body cannot use insulin effectively. Insulin is needed to help your body metabolize carbohydrates. Weight loss of 5-7% is the first recommendation for people with metabolic syndrome to reduce their health risk.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome X Causes & Risk Factors

Is the risk for metabolic syndrome X greater for men?
Men tend to have a naturally greater risk for metabolic syndrome X, as they are more prone to carryi...
What increases my risk for metabolic syndrome?
Risk for metabolic syndrome X is increased by genetic predisposition, age, gender, medical history, ...
Does metabolic syndrome X run in families?
The components that make up metabolic syndrome X can run in families. If you have a family history o...
What are risk factors for metabolic syndrome?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
The biggest risk factor is obesity. Patients who are obese are at a much higher risk of developing m...