Is the risk for metabolic syndrome X greater for men?

Men tend to have a naturally greater risk for metabolic syndrome X, as they are more prone to carrying weight around their middle. The excess weight carried in the middle throughout a man's life places him at a slightly higher risk for metabolic syndrome X than a woman who typically see excess abdominal fat after she has gone through menopause. However, women who suffer from polycystic ovary disease may have an increased risk given that the malfunction in hormone production that causes polycystic ovary disease has also been linked to the risk for metabolic syndrome X.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Syndrome X Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for metabolic syndrome?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
The biggest risk factor is obesity. Patients who are obese are at a much higher risk of developing m...
Does metabolic syndrome have anything to do with my weight?
Metabolic syndrome is becoming more and more common in the United States and researchers are trying ...
What increases my risk for metabolic syndrome?
Risk for metabolic syndrome X is increased by genetic predisposition, age, gender, medical history, ...
Does metabolic syndrome X run in families?
The components that make up metabolic syndrome X can run in families. If you have a family history o...