When should I call my healthcare provider about dehydration in children?

Call your child's healthcare provider if your child has any of these symptoms of dehydration in children:

• Has vomited more than twice in the past 24 hours.
  • Has had more than five loose, watery stools in the past 24 hours.
  • Has stopped breastfeeding or drinking formula.
  • Has been sick and seems to be getting more ill.
  • Is more irritable, fussy or tired than usual.
  • Has less urine or urine that is dark yellow.
  • Has a dry mouth and lips.
  • Is not drinking the oral rehydration solution (ORS) or throws it up after drinking it.
  • Becomes constipated (unable to have a stool) or gets a swollen stomach.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What is systematic amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are three major types of systemic amyloidosis: Primary amyloidosis (AL), the most common f...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...