What should I do if I get dehydrated?

If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports drinks, which contain electrolytes. Water will likely be your best bet -- avoid trying to rehydrate with sugary juices, carbonated beverages or coffee. You should also consider resting and getting out of the sun. Treatment for severe dehydration may require intravenous fluids given at the hospital.
If you feel any of the symptoms of dehydration (including flushed face, thirst, dry mouth, weakness, dizziness, cramping in the arms or legs and headache), do the following:
  • Stop working.
  • Sit down in a cool location.
  • Drink water or a sports drink -- not soda, coffee or an alcoholic beverage.
  • Avoid strenuous activity for a while.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...
What are the symptoms of dehydration in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Look for these signs of dehydration in your child: Sunken eyes The soft spot is sunken on top of...