What should I do if I get dehydrated?

If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports drinks, which contain electrolytes. Water will likely be your best bet -- avoid trying to rehydrate with sugary juices, carbonated beverages or coffee. You should also consider resting and getting out of the sun. Treatment for severe dehydration may require intravenous fluids given at the hospital.
If you feel any of the symptoms of dehydration (including flushed face, thirst, dry mouth, weakness, dizziness, cramping in the arms or legs and headache), do the following:
  • Stop working.
  • Sit down in a cool location.
  • Drink water or a sports drink -- not soda, coffee or an alcoholic beverage.
  • Avoid strenuous activity for a while.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...