What is severe dehydration?

True, severe dehydration, defined as a 10% to 15% loss of total body water, is a medical emergency. It can present in many ways, including increased thirst. However, some people do not experience this; the person can become agitated or very sleepy or confused, have a very dry mouth or skin, be urinating very little or not at all, or have low blood pressure or a fast heart rate or sunken eyes and shriveled skin.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
What is the difference between androgen insensitivity syndrome and gender dysphoria?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Androgen insensitivity syndrome is not the same thing as gender dysphoria. Androgen insensitivity sy...