What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hypercalcemia?

If you have been diagnosed with hypercalcemia, begin a regular exercise program as soon as your blood calcium levels have been lowered. Exercise strengthens your bones and can help to prevent the bone loss that can increase blood calcium levels. Drink plenty of water, since dehydration raises blood calcium levels and can contribute to kidney stones and kidney damage. Avoid tobacco, since tobacco use leads to excess bone loss.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...
What are the treatment options for amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
As amyloidosis is both rare and complex, seeking a proper diagnosis is important, and may require se...