What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hypercalcemia?

If you have been diagnosed with hypercalcemia, begin a regular exercise program as soon as your blood calcium levels have been lowered. Exercise strengthens your bones and can help to prevent the bone loss that can increase blood calcium levels. Drink plenty of water, since dehydration raises blood calcium levels and can contribute to kidney stones and kidney damage. Avoid tobacco, since tobacco use leads to excess bone loss.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...
How does a doctor diagnose amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Symptoms of amyloidosis are frequently vague and appear similar to those of other common diseases sp...