What is Veltassa?

Veltassa (patiromer) is a medication called a potassium binder, used for the treatment of hyperkalemia. Hyperkalemia is an overabundance of potassium in the blood, usually caused by kidney problems (often drugs that affect kidney function) or an overdose of potassium supplement. This can cause heart problems, even cardiac arrest. Veltassa binds to the excess potassium and helps the body eliminate it. Veltassa can also bind to other oral medications and make them ineffective, so it should be given at least 6 hours after and 6 hours before any other drug taken by mouth. Veltassa has a delayed onset, meaning it is not useful as an emergency overdose medication. Side effects may include constipation, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, magnesium deficiency, and gas. Veltassa is prescribed in packets of powder that should be refrigerated before use; it should be mixed into cool water to dissolve and taken with food once a day. 

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...