What is hyperkalemia?

Hyperkalemia is too much potassium in the bloodstream. Potassium helps with basic metabolic functions such as breathing, digestion, body temperature and brain function. Normally, your kidneys remove any extra potassium, but if the kidneys aren't working properly hyperkalemia can occur. Tissue injuries such as burns, surgery, tumors or traumatic injury cause your cells to release potassium which can lead to a buildup. Some medications that affect kidney function, such as amiloride or potassium supplements, can also cause hyperkalemia.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
What are the symptoms of dehydration in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Look for these signs of dehydration in your child: Sunken eyes The soft spot is sunken on top of...