What is androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS)?

Androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS) is a condition that affects sexual development. People with AIS are genetically male, which means they have one X and one Y chromosome. However, unlike other males, people with AIS don't respond to male sex hormones, called androgens. This inability to process androgens causes people with AIS to have physical characteristics of females.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What is systematic amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are three major types of systemic amyloidosis: Primary amyloidosis (AL), the most common f...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...