What causes metabolic disorders?

Metabolic disorders are hereditary, which means that they are usually caused by genetic problems that both parents pass on to their child. The body uses chemicals called enzymes to break down substances in food like carbohydrates, proteins, or fats. However, in some cases, a genetic abnormality may affect how an enzyme works, or it may prevent the body from making the enzyme at all. This can cause a buildup of certain substances that should be broken down or a lack of certain materials that should be made, which results in a metabolic disorder.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...