What causes inherited metabolic disorders?

As the name suggests, inherited metabolic disorders are genetic. In order for the body to break down compounds in food like carbohydrates, proteins, or fats, it needs certain chemical substances called enzymes. However, in some cases, a genetic abnormality causes certain enzymes to function abnormally or to be missing altogether. As substances that should be broken down build up, or as the body fails to make a substance it needs to function properly, a metabolic disorder develops.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...