What may cause dehydration in children?

Dehydration in children may be caused by the following:

• Not drinking enough liquids. Your child needs to drink enough to replace the water he loses during the day. Children who are playing may lose body water by sweating. When the weather is hot, your child needs to drink more because he loses more fluids.
  • Losing too much body fluid.
  • Having a fever. A higher than normal body temperature may cause your child to sweat and lose more fluids through his skin.
  • Having diarrhea. Three or more watery stools a day may cause your child to become dehydrated.
  • Vomiting. Throwing up causes your child to lose body water. If your child is trying to drink liquids but continues to vomit, he may become dehydrated.
  • Urinating too much. Children with untreated diabetes (high blood sugar) may lose too much body water in their urine.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
    Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
    Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
    Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
    How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
    The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...
    What should I do if I get dehydrated?
    If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...