How is hypokalemia treated?

When blood levels of potassium are slightly low, the condition, called hypokalemia, can usually be remedied by potassium supplementation. If levels are very low, individuals may need potassium intravenously (through the vein). One type of hypokalemia occurs when there is too much thyroid hormone in the system. In this case, treatment causes potassium levels to rise and thyroid hormone to lower. Untreated hypokalemia can cause damage to the kidneys or death.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...