What are inherited metabolic disorders?

Inherited metabolic disorders disrupt the body's ability to make or break down food compounds, such as carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. These compounds are essential to the body, supplying it with energy and enabling it to grow and repair. When the body has too much or too little of these compounds in its system, major health problems can develop. The severity of inherited metabolic disorders can vary, and in some cases, dietary supplements, medications or special diets can be used to treat the condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...