What are the treatment options for hypocalcemia?

Oral calcium supplements are the standard treatment for hypocalcemia. Treating the underlying cause of hypocalcemia can often resolve the condition. When symptoms become severe, calcium supplements may be administered via Intravenous (IV). Vitamin D supplements may be administered to those with malabsorptive disorders. Diuretic medications can help slow the secretion of calcium from the body via the kidneys, in the case of hypoparathyroidism or kidney problems.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What is amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Amyloidosis is a rare and potentially life threatening disease which occurs when toxic amyloid prote...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...