Should I talk to my doctor about my metabolic disorder symptoms?

Because there are so many types of metabolic disorders, there is a wide variety of potential symptoms. To make matters more complicated, many of the symptoms of metabolic disorders are similar to those of other conditions. Most metabolic disorders are inherited, and most of the time, children will develop symptoms for these very early in life. Symptoms are often quite serious, so it's important to talk to a doctor if you or your child has symptoms of a metabolic disorder.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Are blood sugar levels important for acid-base metabolism disorders?
High and low blood sugar levels can make people more susceptible to acid-base metabolism disorders. ...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Studies have shown that losing as little as 2 percent of your body weight in fluid will adversely af...