Should I talk to my doctor about my inherited metabolic disorder symptoms?

Because the symptoms of inherited metabolic disorders are similar to those of many other conditions and diseases, diagnosis is difficult. In many cases, children and adults with inherited metabolic disorders have been misdiagnosed with another condition or show symptoms of the disorder without knowing the actual cause. If you or your child has symptoms of a metabolic disorder, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What is gangliosidoses?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The gangliosidoses are a group of inherited metabolic diseases caused by a deficiency of the differe...
What are lipid disorders?
Lipid disorders are a group of conditions characterized by abnormal levels of fatty substances in th...