What are the symptoms of amyloidosis?

Symptoms of amyloidosis are frequently vague and appear similar to those of other common diseases spanning the areas of cardiology, nephrology, neurology, and more.
Often, it is the presence of many persistent, unrelated symptoms that alert a physician to the possibility of amyloidosis. Left untreated, the disease can be potentially life threatening so receiving a diagnosis early and accurately is very important.
General symptoms may include:
  • Fatigue
  • Foamy urine
  • Joint pain
  • Low red blood cell count (anemia)
  • Shortness of breath
  • Swelling in the ankles, legs, and tongue
  • Tingling and numbness in hands and feet
  • Weight loss

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What are lipid disorders?
Lipid disorders are a group of conditions characterized by abnormal levels of fatty substances in th...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...