Should I be worried about hypercalcemia?

If you suffer from cancer, or from a disability that leaves you partially or entirely immobilized, hypercalcemia may be a cause for worry. If you take calcium supplements, especially if your diet already contains plenty of calcium, you may want to speak to your doctor about the possibility of hypercalcemia. Excessive supplement use over time can lead to hypercalcemia. If you are diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism, you may also have developed hypercalcemia. If your hypercalcemia is severe, you may need to be hospitalized. If it is mild, your doctor may recommend delaying treatment.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Studies have shown that losing as little as 2 percent of your body weight in fluid will adversely af...