If I have family with an inherited metabolic disorder, should I be tested?

Inherited metabolic disorders are the result of a gene mutation. They occur when a genetic defect affects certain enzymes in the body that are necessary to break down food. In most cases, both parents must carry the metabolic gene defect to pass a disorder on to their child. People who have family members with an inherited metabolic disorder should receive genetic testing, however. Even if you do not have the disorder yourself, you could pass the defect on to your child.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
What are the symptoms of dehydration in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Look for these signs of dehydration in your child: Sunken eyes The soft spot is sunken on top of...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...