If I have family with an inherited metabolic disorder, should I be tested?

Inherited metabolic disorders are the result of a gene mutation. They occur when a genetic defect affects certain enzymes in the body that are necessary to break down food. In most cases, both parents must carry the metabolic gene defect to pass a disorder on to their child. People who have family members with an inherited metabolic disorder should receive genetic testing, however. Even if you do not have the disorder yourself, you could pass the defect on to your child.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
What are infant metabolic errors?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Inborn errors of metabolism, also known as congenital metabolic diseases or metabolic disorders, are...
What is gangliosidoses?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The gangliosidoses are a group of inherited metabolic diseases caused by a deficiency of the differe...