How do medications treat inherited metabolic disorders?

Depending on the type of inherited metabolic disorder, certain treatments and medications can help to manage and control the disease. Special diets aim to help a patient avoid the food substances that cause the disorder, and vitamins and medications can help to minimize the disorder's effects. Some medications have been developed that can help specific disorders, such as miglustat for Gaucher type 1, and metreleptin for generalized lipodystrophy. Speak to your doctor to discuss possible treatment options.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...