How do medications treat androgen insensitivity syndrome?

Medications used to treat androgen insensitivity syndrome are usually hormone-based drugs. These medications contain estrogen that replaces the sex hormones the body doesn't produce naturally in people with androgen insensitivity syndrome. Many estrogen medications are available as patches applied to the skin or as pills taken by mouth, and treatment usually begins after puberty. Other non-medication treatments may be an option, so talk to your doctor to determine the most effective treatment for you or your child.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
How do metabolic disorders affect the body?
Metabolic disorders are often inherited, meaning they are caused by genetic problems that affect the...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...