What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hyperkalemia?

Individuals with hyperkalemia may need to make lifestyle changes to manage their condition. To support the body's efforts to heal, they may need to avoid alcohol and tobacco, supplements and herbs known to contain or increase potassium levels, and foods containing high levels of potassium. Dialysis may be needed if there is acute or chronic kidney failure. Dehydration can increase levels of potassium in the blood so individuals should drink plenty of water.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What are infant metabolic errors?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Inborn errors of metabolism, also known as congenital metabolic diseases or metabolic disorders, are...
What are lipid disorders?
Lipid disorders are a group of conditions characterized by abnormal levels of fatty substances in th...