What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hyperkalemia?

Individuals with hyperkalemia may need to make lifestyle changes to manage their condition. To support the body's efforts to heal, they may need to avoid alcohol and tobacco, supplements and herbs known to contain or increase potassium levels, and foods containing high levels of potassium. Dialysis may be needed if there is acute or chronic kidney failure. Dehydration can increase levels of potassium in the blood so individuals should drink plenty of water.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
What is the difference between androgen insensitivity syndrome and gender dysphoria?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Androgen insensitivity syndrome is not the same thing as gender dysphoria. Androgen insensitivity sy...
How does a doctor diagnose amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Symptoms of amyloidosis are frequently vague and appear similar to those of other common diseases sp...