Is there a cure for mucolipidoses?

There is no cure for life-threatening metabolic diseases like the mucolipidoses. Treatments focus on coping with the symptoms of the diseases, such as vision problems (corneal surgery), muscle and skeletal issues (physical therapy), and communication difficulties (speech therapies). Scientists have identified the genes that cause the mucolipidoses and are working on treatments and cures.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
How do metabolic disorders affect the body?
Metabolic disorders are often inherited, meaning they are caused by genetic problems that affect the...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...