Is there a cure for hyperkalemia?

Hyperkalemia is often detected when an individual is being tested for other health conditions, so a cure depends on the other conditions. Their severity and the amount of damage that occurred because of overly high levels of potassium in the blood is important. Hyperkalemia is life threatening and the risk of cardiac arrest is high. Emergency treatment will focus on protecting the heart and muscles and on lowering the potassium levels in the blood. When the individual is stabilized, doctors can look for, and treat, the underlying cause of the condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
The most important, and probably most obvious, way to prevent dehydration during exercise is to drin...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Studies have shown that losing as little as 2 percent of your body weight in fluid will adversely af...