Is there a cure for hypercalcemia?

If hypercalcemia is the result of hyperparathyroidism, it can often be cured by treating the hyperparathyroidism. Surgery may be used to remove the malfunctioning parathyroid glands. Medication can help the parathyroid glands produce less parathyroid hormone. If you are at risk for hypercalcemia due to immobility, medication and preventative lifestyle measures can help you prevent or manage your hypercalcemia. If your hypercalcemia is the result of cancer or another condition, it may be more difficult to treat. In these cases, hypercalcemia treatment can only be as successful as the treatment for your underlying condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
What are the treatment options for amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
As amyloidosis is both rare and complex, seeking a proper diagnosis is important, and may require se...