Is androgen insensitivity syndrome serious?

Androgen insensitivity syndrome can have serious impacts on your life, but the condition is usually treatable and isn't fatal. In some cases, women with AIS may have undescended tests that may develop into cancer and can become life-threatening if they're not surgically removed. Usually, the physical effects of AIS include a lack of body hair and infertility, which may not be physically life-threatening but can be emotionally devastating. Other serious emotional effects, including issues of gender identity, may occur.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
How to Help Others Understand the Challenges of AHP
Living with acute hepatic porphyria (AHP) can be difficult, especially if your friends and family don't understand the condition. Watch this video wit...
What is gangliosidoses?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The gangliosidoses are a group of inherited metabolic diseases caused by a deficiency of the differe...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...