Is androgen insensitivity syndrome serious?

Androgen insensitivity syndrome can have serious impacts on your life, but the condition is usually treatable and isn't fatal. In some cases, women with AIS may have undescended tests that may develop into cancer and can become life-threatening if they're not surgically removed. Usually, the physical effects of AIS include a lack of body hair and infertility, which may not be physically life-threatening but can be emotionally devastating. Other serious emotional effects, including issues of gender identity, may occur.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
What is gangliosidoses?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The gangliosidoses are a group of inherited metabolic diseases caused by a deficiency of the differe...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...