How do inherited metabolic disorders affect children and adults?

For the most part, metabolic disorders affect adults and children in much the same way. However, early diagnosis and treatment is an important part of managing and controlling many metabolic disorders. Children with inherited metabolic disorders may have symptoms such as developmental disabilities, brain damage, birth defects, seizures, and physical disabilities. Adults who unknowingly have a metabolic disorder may have a variety of symptoms that have either been misdiagnosed or that doctors have been unable to diagnose previously.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
What are lipid disorders?
Lipid disorders are a group of conditions characterized by abnormal levels of fatty substances in th...