What inherited metabolic disorders affect carbohydrates?

Carbohydrates are sugar compounds that are found in a wide variety of foods, from bread and pasta to fruits and vegetables. Enzymes in the body help to properly break down these compounds so that the body can use them in the ways that it needs to. In some cases, a genetic defect causes these enzymes to be missing or to function improperly. When this happens, substances that should be broken down build up, or the body fails to make a substance that it needs to, and a metabolic disorder develops. Metabolic disorders that affect carbohydrates include mucopolysaccharidoses, Forbes' disease, and McArdle's disease.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...