How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose mucolipidoses?

Your doctor will want to know about your heritage, especially if you are of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. Be prepared to describe your child's symptoms, including all physical, mental, and behavioral details. Your doctor will probably want to take blood or skin tests to identify the gene that causes mucolipidoses. It's possible that an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) test will be performed to identify any abnormalities in the brain. If you have had any genetic testing done prior to your appointment, bring your records to your doctor's office.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What are the symptoms of dehydration in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Look for these signs of dehydration in your child: Sunken eyes The soft spot is sunken on top of...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...