Does hypercalcemia affect children differently than adults?

Hypercalcemia occurs far less frequently in children than it does in adults. It usually affects children with cancer. Children with cancer-related hypercalcemia may exhibit the same symptoms as adults. Less than one percent of children with cancer experience cancer-related hypercalcemia, however, whereas up to 20 percent of adults with cancer develop hypercalcemia.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Studies have shown that losing as little as 2 percent of your body weight in fluid will adversely af...