How do medications treat the mucolipidoses?

Because it is a genetic disease, the underlying causes of the mucolipidoses are not addressed by prescription medication. Your doctor may recommend that you take iron supplements to prevent anemia that may result from mucolipidosis. Medications to increase bone density may help with bone pain and related issues.  The vitamin B12 is also useful, especially if you have MLIV.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...