How do I manage my hyperkalemia on a daily basis?

Hyperkalemia is a life-threatening condition, and hospitalization is usually required so the individual can be closely monitored. After the condition has been stabilized, follow the doctor's instructions carefully. Individuals with hyperkalemia should avoid alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drugs, potassium supplements, and foods high in potassium. Change the diet to avoid processed foods and fatty meats and drink plenty of water because dehydration can aggravate the condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
How do metabolic disorders affect the body?
Metabolic disorders are often inherited, meaning they are caused by genetic problems that affect the...
How does a doctor diagnose amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Symptoms of amyloidosis are frequently vague and appear similar to those of other common diseases sp...