How do I manage my hyperkalemia on a daily basis?

Hyperkalemia is a life-threatening condition, and hospitalization is usually required so the individual can be closely monitored. After the condition has been stabilized, follow the doctor's instructions carefully. Individuals with hyperkalemia should avoid alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drugs, potassium supplements, and foods high in potassium. Change the diet to avoid processed foods and fatty meats and drink plenty of water because dehydration can aggravate the condition.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
What is amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Amyloidosis is a rare and potentially life threatening disease which occurs when toxic amyloid prote...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...