How is hyperkalemia diagnosed?

Hyperkalemia is often detected when an individual is undergoing tests for another condition. Certain changes in an electrocardiogram (EKG) will prompt the doctor to run blood tests to determine kidney function. If the blood level of potassium are too high, the doctor will diagnose hyperkalemia. The condition has little in the way of symptoms until it becomes serious.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

How to Help Others Understand the Challenges of AHP
Living with acute hepatic porphyria (AHP) can be difficult, especially if your friends and family don't understand the condition. Watch this video wit...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
Are blood sugar levels important for acid-base metabolism disorders?
High and low blood sugar levels can make people more susceptible to acid-base metabolism disorders. ...