How does hypercalcemia affect the body?

Hypercalcemia can affect muscle function, leading to muscle weakness and potentially fatal heart dysfunction. Hypercalcemia affects the nervous system and can lead to hallucinations, delirium, confusion, emotional problems, and coma. If hypercalcemia continues over a long period of time, kidney stones could form, and the kidneys could suffer damage.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...