How do I care for someone with an inherited metabolic disorder?

Families of patients with inherited metabolic disorders should work with doctors to determine the best line of treatment for their loved one. While medications and other treatment options may be available, clinical trials or other alternative therapies may be helpful as well. Families and doctors should focus on the specific needs of the patient to give the best care possible.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
What are the treatment options for amyloidosis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
As amyloidosis is both rare and complex, seeking a proper diagnosis is important, and may require se...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...