How does the gene MCOLN1 affect my mucolipidoses?

Abnormalities in the gene MCOLN1 cause ML4, or type IV, mucolipidoses. MCOLN1 fails to produce or produces faulty proteins in cells. In turn, these proteins cannot help substances to exit the cells. Waste materials accumulate and cause damage to the affected organs. Doctors can identify problems with MCOLN1 during prenatal testing or when they are trying to diagnose someone with mucolipidoses-like symptoms.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
What are infant metabolic errors?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Inborn errors of metabolism, also known as congenital metabolic diseases or metabolic disorders, are...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...