How can a special diet treat an inherited metabolic disorder?

Inherited metabolic disorders affect the ability of the body to make or break down food compounds from fats, proteins, or carbohydrates. Implementing a special diet is one of the main courses of treatment for many inherited metabolic disorders. By getting rid of the substances from a person's diet that cause metabolic problems, symptoms of the disorder and its affects on the body can be controlled and managed.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
What are infant metabolic errors?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Inborn errors of metabolism, also known as congenital metabolic diseases or metabolic disorders, are...