Is there a cure for inherited metabolic disorders?

There is no cure for inherited metabolic disorders. However, in many cases, there are treatment options available to help manage and control the disorder, especially if it is caught earlier. Many people with inherited metabolic disorders find that special diets help ease the symptoms of their disorder. By removing the particular substance from their diet that the body cannot break down, people can minimize the disorder's effects. In addition, vitamins, medications, surgery, and other therapies can help to manage symptoms.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
4 Helpful Resources for Porphyria Patients
Porphyria is the term used to describe a group of metabolic disorders that affect the nerves, skin and gastrointestinal tract—or in some cases, all th...
What is the difference between androgen insensitivity syndrome and gender dysphoria?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Androgen insensitivity syndrome is not the same thing as gender dysphoria. Androgen insensitivity sy...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...