What are some complications of inherited metabolic disorders?

In many cases, inherited metabolic disorders are found during routine tests and examinations done right after a child is born. In these cases, early treatment can help to minimize any complications from the disorder. However, children and adults who unknowingly have a inherited metabolic disorder may develop complications such as developmental disabilities, brain damage, seizures, and physical disabilities. In some cases, no treatments options are available, and the disorder can be fatal.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Types of Porphyria: Acute, Cutaneous and More
Porphyria is the name given to a group of metabolic disorders related to abnormal enzyme activity during the production of heme, an important componen...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
How do I manage my metabolic disorder on a daily basis?
Depending on the type and severity of the metabolic disorder, a variety of daily treatments may help...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Dr. Ricardo E. Estape, MDDr. Ricardo E. Estape, MD
You can avoid dehydration by following a few basic guidelines. Don’t wait until you are thirsty t...