How can I best care for someone with androgen insensitivity syndrome?

When caring for a child with androgen insensitivity syndrome, it's important to remember that this condition can have very complex emotional effects in addition to the physical effects. Of course, it's important to get your child treatment, which may include hormone replacement therapy or surgery. Emotional effects are just as difficult, so don't be afraid to have your child talk with counselors, psychologists, or support groups. For parents of children with AIS, the decision of when and what to tell your child about their condition is a tough one. Talk with your doctor and counselors about how to approach this subject, and provide as much support for your child as possible.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Why a Balanced Diet is Important to Managing Porphyria
While there are no specific dietary guidelines for people with porphyria, eating well is still an important aspect of overall health and wellness for ...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...
What are the symptoms of severe dehydration?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
It’s vital to catch dehydration early because it doesn’t take long for it to turn into more severe d...