Can hyperkalemia have any complications?

Complications of hyperkalemia include irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia), cardiac arrest, and altered neuromuscular control. Hyperkalemia is a symptom of other disorders or diseases, and if these underlying causes are not identified and treated, the individual may be prone to recurring episodes of this disorder. Untreated hyperkalemia can lead to death.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Do You Have Porphyria? Know the Symptoms
Porphyrias are a group of rare metabolic disorders that can cause a wide range of symptoms, ranging from severe blistering when exposed to sunlight, t...
Treatment for Porphyria
Treatment for Porphyria
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders that impact the body’s ability to produce heme. Heme is a natural compound needed to make red blood cells, tra...
Can metabolic disorders be prevented?
Metabolic disorders are usually genetic, which makes prevention impossible. Although the disorders t...
What should I do if I get dehydrated?
If you are dehydrated, you should try to rehydrate by drinking water or other liquids such as sports...