Can hyperkalemia have any complications?

Complications of hyperkalemia include irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia), cardiac arrest, and altered neuromuscular control. Hyperkalemia is a symptom of other disorders or diseases, and if these underlying causes are not identified and treated, the individual may be prone to recurring episodes of this disorder. Untreated hyperkalemia can lead to death.

Continue Learning about Metabolic Disorders

Identifying and Avoiding Common Porphyria Triggers
Porphyrias are rare metabolic disorders caused by abnormal enzyme activity that affects the way the body produces heme (a substance that is vital to t...
Porphyria: Tips for Working With a Healthcare Provider
Porphyrias are metabolic disorders related to the buildup of natural chemical compounds called porphyrins, which the body makes during the production ...
How can I prevent dehydration during exercise?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To prevent dehydration during exercise try the following: Sip 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to...
How can I prevent dehydration?
Dr. Ricardo E. Estape, MDDr. Ricardo E. Estape, MD
You can avoid dehydration by following a few basic guidelines. Don’t wait until you are thirsty t...